Job terms: Full-time Contract (35 hrs./week)
Job location: Scarborough, ON
Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
The Arab Community Centre of Toronto (ACCT) registered in 1974 is a not-for-profit organization with
charitable status and is non-political and non-sectarian. The ACCT’s mission is to enable and
empower individuals, families, and communities to lead informed, productive, and culturally
sensitive lives. As a non-profit model of excellence, we honour our Arab Canadian heritage through
community building and service to those in need of every heritage.
Position Title: Settlement Counsellor
ACCT is currently recruiting a full-time Settlement Counsellor to work from our Scarborough
locations. In this position you will provide one-on-one and direct services to support the integration
process of recent immigrants and refugees. Services include referrals to various services within and
outside the community and the provision of updated and well-researched information relevant to
immigrant and refugee needs.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Engages clients in intake and assessment process to identify immediate, short, medium- and
long-term settlement needs of the newcomers and devise service plans based on the
assessment and client’s needs.
- Provides one-on-one case management and counselling to clients requesting information
concerning: advocacy, translation & interpretation and civic participation and community
engagement, orientation, referral (internally and to appropriate programs/services within the
community) and non-therapeutic counselling regarding services such as health care, housing,
employment, training and education, legal aid, finance, social services, etc.
- Provide information about immigration application guidelines and transcribe client
information into forms as necessary
- Provide initial crisis intervention/mental health support when required with appropriate
- Ensures all clients and the community feedback and concerns are addressed in a timely
manner and recorded according to ACCT’s policies and procedures
- Plans, organizes and facilitates group workshops and orientation sessions that support clients
in understanding and integrating into Canadian society, practices and procedures; advise on
way of life, institutions, laws, rights, responsibilities, civic participation, etc.
- Plans, prepares and evaluates appropriate material for group facilitation & workshops in
collaboration with other teams and programs within the agency.
- Collect statistics; submit monthly reports and input client data into iCARE and other internal
databases, including but not limited to, OCMS and Excel
- Develop monthly work plan and activities
- Ensures that all records are kept confidential and secure.
- Develops individualized outreach plans for each assigned service locations in collaboration
with other ACCT’s programs or external service providers
- Jointly with service partners conducts program promotion in community social landmarks
- Actively participates in program’s community development activities including advocacy,
outreach and community engagement and empowerment activities
- Networks with other staff, attends staff meetings & agency events including staff social events,
community events and agency committees
- Other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Development, Humanities, Counselling or Social Work
- 2 years in client service and group facilitation; experienced in establishing professional
boundaries with clients
- Understanding and awareness of the newcomer experience including an awareness of
diversity issues and an ability to work within a cross-cultural perspective
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English; fluent in any of those languages;
Ukrainian, Farsi, Dari, Pashto, Arabic, is an asset.
- Empathic, respectful, and discrete; remains tactful and patient during stressful situations
- Knowledge of the Canadian legal, political, cultural, educational, and economic systems
- Extensive knowledge of the immigration and refugee system and services available
- Broad-based knowledge of community and government resources to refer clients
- Ability to work in a team environment, as well as a capacity to self-motivate and work
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter by September 30, 2022
Thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be